Monday, December 29, 2008

Getting Off the Couch


What exactly gets me off of the couch and onto the floor, weights in hand? I would tell you but I'm not sure. One moment I am one with the sofa zoned out and tuned in to the tube and the next moment I'm kicking and punching, burning approximately one hundred calories for every ten minutes into it. However I can say that I give myself every mental advantage I can think of.

I leave out the blender with my rice protein blend ready to go. I leave my weights by the TV at all times. I wake up and put on my sweats first thing. Recently just starting with a quick ten minute routine from on demand has done wonders for my motivation. All I have to do is make myself hit the button and I'm up doing a new routine.

I tell myself that it's OK I can do just a few minutes, finish the first work out and then I can be done. I only commit to a little at a time but here's the thing, typically if I do just five or ten minutes odds are I'm hungry for more. A short buns and thigh routine gets followed by a full kickboxing video and I'm done. Sometimes the challenge is to tell yourself to slow down.

I would like to have the luxury of grabbing my sneakers along with my ipod and running out the door for a morning jog. In my neighborhood however, that's just not an option. I live on a very busy road with lots of cars and plenty of exhaust, add to that concrete sidewalks which are hard on knee and ankle joints and your health bonus is nullified. Not to mention I'm a 5' 2" young woman who is not about to go off jogging alone on a busy street. For now I have a system that works for me and my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment